Akademos, Inc., has recognized nine students at colleges across the country for their creativity in this year’s Akademos/TextbookX Textbook Scholarship Contest. The first place winner, two runner-up winners, and six honorable mention winners all received a textbook scholarship to apply towards course materials for fall 2014.
To participate in the contest, students posed with their favorite book and submitted their self-taken photos with a creative caption to the TextbookX Facebook page. After uploading their#BookShelfie —a play on the word “bookshelf” and the social media “selfie” trend— students encouraged friends and family to vote for their entry.
The scholarship contest winners were announced on August 12th, during what Akademos has designated as “Textbook Affordability Week.” Textbook Affordability Week was developed to educate students about the benefits of shopping for textbooks early in the back to school shopping season, when prices are the most competitive.
After most college Spring terms end and right before fall term begins, the market is flooded with used books that students have sold back into circulation as part of textbook buy-back initiatives, thereby increasing inventory and decreasing book costs. College students who buy earlier in the summer are more likely to find discounts on textbooks.
The Akademos / TextbookX Textbook Scholarship winners are listed below:
- Grand Prize Winner ($500 Textbook Scholarship)– Faizan Haque, University of California Irvine
- Runner Up ($250 Textbook Scholarship) – Chrissi Lopez, Fort Myers Institute of Technology
- Runner Up ($250 Textbook Scholarship) – Michelle Stock, Millikin University
Our honorable mention winners, awarded with a $25 textbook scholarship, were:
- Honorable Mention – Holly Tidwell, Union College of Kentucky
- Honorable Mention – Tori Thoutt, University of Northern Colorado
- Honorable Mention – Tiffany Latshaw, Central College
- Honorable Mention – Katie Perry, Columbia International University
- Honorable Mention – Breanna Berry, Hamline University
- Honorable Mention – Joy Law, Columbia International University
To view the entries, visit http://textbookx.com/scholarship.
Akademos / TextbookX would like to thank all students for entering their fall 2014 Textbook Scholarship Photo Contest. To stay updated on TextbookX Scholarship opportunities, like TextbookX on Facebook.